Broccoli Please!
I always said that my child would eat his veggies. I was dead set on not having to deal with 'But I don't like peeeeeeeeeeeas' and 'That's yucky' whenever my family sat down to the table for dinner. So when my son was old enough to start eating something other than breastmilk, the first thing I introduced him to after his requisite rice cereal was green beans - steamed and pureed. I wouldn't say he loved them by any means, but at 5 months old, he was eating his veggies and I was proud of myself for not offering fruit first. He grew to eat nearly any vegetable that I pureed and put in front of his mouth. Then we started on fruit, meat, yogurt and cheese - things that make him moan in pleasure while he's munching down on them. And now, he will not touch his damn veggies. At 11 months, I have become a failure. He's much too young for the 'If you don't eat your veggies, you'll go to bed hungry', so I had to come up with something.

Broccoli was on sale at the grocery store the other day, so I decided to buy a couple of bundles. Somewhere along aisle 3 the brilliant idea came to me - broccoli soup! Surely if I mix his veggies with cream then he'd be so absorbed with moaning over the cream and cheese that he wouldn't even notice the broccoli! And I was totally right. He loves the stuff - but I still can't get him to eat a veggie alone.

Broccoli Soup
(adapted from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook)
2 stalks broccoli (approximately 1 1/2 pounds), chopped (I don't use the huge stalk part)
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 c water
2 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp flour
3 c chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
dash of ground nutmeg
1/2 cup cream (heavy or light will do)
8 oz cheddar cheese

Boil water in 3 quart saucepan. Add broccoli, celery, and onion. Cover and cook until broccoli is tender, approximately 10 min.

Transfer broccoli mixture (with any remaining water) to food processor and puree until smooth.

Melt butter in 3 quart saucepan (use the same one to reduce the amount of clean-up you have to do). Add flour and stir until smooth and bubbly.

Slowly add broth to flour mixture. Stirring constantly, heat to boiling. Boil for 1 minute.

Stir in broccoli mixture, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat.

Add cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is dissolved.

I really enjoy making soups. They make a great meal by themselves, or you can serve them as a starter to dinner or with a sandwich for lunch. There will be many more soup recipes featured in the future.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer