Blueberries! Blueberries! Blueberries!
I have a disease. I can not walk through the produce section of the grocery store without buying anything that's buy one get one free. At my local grocery store, this only seems to happen with broccoli, which I can prepare a zillion and one ways, and berries. I always buy the berries and have no idea what to do with them except serve them with whipped cream or ice cream. I don't know why the hell I don't just eat them as they are. Berries are delicious and great for you. But I never do eat them alone and usually they start to go bad before I've come up with a use for them.

The other day I brought home two pints of blueberries. As I put them in the fridge, I sighed to myself because I had no idea what I was actually going to do with so many blueberries. Saturday morning for breakfast, we had blueberry pancakes. They were delicious. But I'm not about to eat blueberry pancakes every day for a week.

Then I stumbled upon a recipe for cookies. And the recipe had the a-word, so I had to give it a try.

Almond-Blueberry Cookies
2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c milk
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp lemon zest, about 1 lemon
1/2 c almonds, chopped, toasted
1 c blueberries (thawed and drained if using frozen)

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.

In small bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg, milk, almond extract, and lemon zest. Mix until well blended.

Add the contents of the small bowl to the medium bowl and mix.

Fold in almonds and blueberries.

Refridgerate dough for 30 min.

Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in 375 degree oven until browned around the edges, about 15 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.

I didn't use the lemon zest in mine, mainly because I didn't have a lemon and hell if I was going to the store for a non-essential ingredient. Also, I generally don't like the lemon flavor in many of the baked goods I have made, but I think that these cookies would have been that much better if I had added the zest.

Go make these cookies. They're delicious.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer