Athena, Goddess of Green Beans
I have always loved the name Athena. And any song that mentions Athena. And any recipe that includes Athena in its title. Ok, that might be a stretch.

I have always made green beans one of two ways. The first, and most common, was by opening a can of French-cut green beans and dumping them in a pot. If I wanted to get really crazy, I would add some black pepper. The second method was by opening a bag of frozen green beans and dumping them in a pot, with a tiny bit of water and salt. Everyone ate them and nobody complained. But eventually I set out on a quest for something a little less bland.

And this, my friends, is definitely a little less bland. And downright delicious.

Green Beans Athena
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lg onion, cut into half-moons
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb green beans
6 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
salt and pepper
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled

In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add green beans, tomatoes, 2 tbsp water and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat until green beans are tender and tomatoes have cooked down, about 40 minutes.

Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.

I downsize this immensely and don't really use any specific measurements. I also use canned tomatoes and frozen green beans instead of fresh because of how infrequently I go grocery shopping and it's still great.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer