What the Leek?
I really don't want to get into the habit of doing this, but I'm going to write about what I had for dinner again last night. Yesterday I was using it as a kind of standby because I am determined to post here daily and I didn't feel like typing up a recipe, but today! Today I have goodness for you!

Posting about Baked Potato Soup got me craving some. But then Zoot made this post yesterday talking about documenting what you eat through photos - the idea being that if you have to take a picture of 4 cupcakes and post it for all your internet friends to see, then perhaps you won't eat your usual 4. Basically, stopping to take a photo forces you to think about what your eating before you eat it, not after, like so many of us do.

I try to focus more on what my family has for dinner and not so much what I snack on during the day, so I asked if I could participate in the Flickr group photopool if I'm just posting pictures of dinner. And of course, I was warmly welcomed. But considering the whole idea is to EAT BETTER, I thought perhaps Baked Potato Soup wouldn't be the best way to start out. But without any thawed meat and still a hankering for some potato soup, I started searching.

I came across several recipes for potato soups that included leeks. Being the amateur cook that I am, I had no damn clue what a leek was so I busted out my favorite kitchen reference book and looked it up. Pleased with what I saw, I headed into Earth Fare after our Gymboree class and picked up some leeks and French bread.

This soup is pretty easy to make, though the slicing and chopping can take a bit of your time, especially if you have a crappy knife.

Potato and Leek Soup
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 sm onion, coarsely chopped
1 med leek, coarsely chopped (white and light green parts only)
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp thyme
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bacon slice
1 bay leaf
3 medium startchy potatoes, skinned and sliced thin
1 1/2 c chicken stock
1 1/2 c cream (I used whole milk)
1/2 c sour cream

Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add vegetables, thyme, bacon, and bay leaf and cook for approximately 5 minutes.

Add potatoes, then cover with stock and cream. Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.

Transfer soup to a food processor and blend until is has reached the desired consistency. I don't like to puree my soups very much - I enjoy the texture that a less pureed one has to offer. Transfer soup back to pot.

Blend in sour cream, season with salt and pepper, and serve with French bread.

Oh, now you want to know what a leek is?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer