Like Livin' In the 50's
I used to be one of those people who couldn't have stuff touching on my plate. Thank god I got over that some time ago. But casseroles? Those still scare me a bit. Probably because I always think of tuna when I hear the word 'casserole' and tuna (along with any other fish) makes me sick to my stomach.

When I first started cooking, Rj frequently begged me to make 'a casserole'. He never specified which one he wanted me to make and probably would have been happy if I had thrown together the first six items I pulled out of the fridge and baked it for 30 minutes, just as long as I called it a casserole. It took a few dinners over at his mother's house to realize that a 'casserole' took him back to his childhood as I believe I have had a casserole every time I have ever been to his mother's house. (None of them were tuna or anything weird, so I eventually took down my casserole guard - thanks Carol.)

If you don't count the sweet potato casserole (because my idea of a casserole is a bunch of stuff thrown together to make a main dish that incorporates all four food groups - or close to it at least, not sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, and nuts), then this would be the only casserole I've ever braved making.

Chicken Casserole
1/2 stick butter
1/2 large onion
1 celery stalk
2 c cooked chicken, torn into pieces
1 c dry stuffing
1 can cream soup (chicken, mushroom, celery . . . they all work well)
1/2 c milk
4 oz cheddar cheese

Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until soft.

Mix all ingredients together in bowl and place in casserole dish.

Bake at 350 degrees until top is browned, approximately 30 min.

Man, casseroles are easy.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer